Tibbo’s Ubuntu-based distribution for the LTPP3(G2) offers a solid starting point for your development needs. However, you’ll likely want to customize your image with additional components as required by your projects.
Tibbo offers a Docker container with build tools to help you easily customize images for the LTPP3(G2). This tutorial demonstrates how to use Tibbo’s Docker container to include optional kernel components — in this case, the TUN/TAP driver — as part of your customized images.
If you wish to add the driver as a module, please refer to this article.
- Docker Desktop
- An SSH terminal client (e.g., IO Ninja)
- (Optional) A serial terminal client (e.g., IO Ninja)
Building a Customized Image:
- Pull and run Tibbo’s Docker container, then connect to it via SSH. See this article for a detailed guide on how to perform these steps.
- Run make kconfig. This opens the Kernel Configuration Menu.
- Highlight Universal TUN/TAP device driver support under Device drivers > Network device support. Selecting M enables the driver as a kernel module, while * permanently enables it.
- Exit and save when prompted.
- Run make to build your customized image.
Downloading and installing the new image
There are many ways to do this, such as connecting to the docker using VS Code and downloading the file to your computer and copying it to the device via a microSD card or USB flash drive. In this example, we will download the file using SFTP.
Connect SFTP with the following credentials:
User Name: root
Password : root
Host Name : localhost
Port: 10022 (or the host port number you have set for the docker container)
The new image file ISPBOOOT.BIN is located under the /root/SP7021/out/ directory.
Download the file and copy it to a MicroSD Card or USB Drive. For instructions on how to install a new image, please refer to our documentation.
Once the new image is installed on the LTPP3(G2), you can install software that requires TUN/TAP to operate. For example, Zerotier can now be successfully installed on the LTPP3(G2).
Please sign in to leave a comment.